Stirring the pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stirring the pot

Great win by the Jacks today. which makes the Illinois State and UNI losses all the more maddening.

As the Jacks move toward what (I hope) is their sixth straight winning season (and a Dakota Marker and playoffs), I decided to go back and look at the trends of the previous five winning seasons. Our overall record over those five plus seasons, including this year, is 38-26 - a commendable .593.

But we have trouble in September, and more often than not we dig ourselves a hole that, like this year, we have to climb out of to make the last two months meaningful.
    Since '05 season:
    - We are 12-13 (.480) in September (and one August game) over the five years.
    - Jacks are 15-7 in October (.681)
    - SDSU is 11-6 in November (.647).

Strength of schedule in those months does not appear to be the cause. For every Nebraska and Iowa State there were Lacrosses (twice), Valparisos and Nicholls States. We played our other FBS foe, Minnesota, later in the season last year.
    Any thoughts as to why we dig a hole to start seasons?

Re: Stirring the pot

We're friendly in South Dakota and we like to give people a head start?
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Any thoughts as to why we dig a hole to start seasons?
      We do have a lot of youth on the team this year. It has taken a few games to get the OL to work together. The looked like horse droppings the first couple of games and now they are playing pretty well. TOB has gotten better the last couple of weeks. Still question some of the play calling (3rd and 25 and you run a draw just to get a little closer for a field goal). Sure he made the field goal, but you can see in the second half passes down the field were open. Just think the team is starting to gel a little bit more than the beginning of the year.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I think the team really needs that cupcake home opener. Nuts to this business of starting a week behind.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          I think the team really needs that cupcake home opener. Nuts to this business of starting a week behind.
          Like Wisconsin-Lacrosse?

Comment

I have a gut feeling that at the end of they year we will come up 1 game short and we'll look back at that Illinois St game and see that as the one that got away.

If we would have taken care of business in that game our conference record would have been 4-1 and good enough for 1st in the Valley right now.
            http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              Like Wisconsin-Lacrosse?
              but since then, which was what 5 years ago, the early schedule has been pretty hard. I'm not saying they should have complete cupcakes but going

Deleware, conference game, nebraksa, conference game, isn't the easiest scheduling you could do.

Generally if you are going to have an FBS school either have it 1st or have it later in the year.
              Tough non-conference game like Deleware I like having early middle maybe 3rd, 4th, though I understand that the contract was done years ago when SDSU was just looking for games.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                We're friendly in South Dakota and we like to give people a head start?
                Good answer.

I dont have an answer. Each year is unique in presonnel and opponents so its hard to draw any conclusions. NDSU winning yesterday gives me some concern. We might have some problems on collecting our fourth consective win. This week we have ISU-BLUE, who has a QB that should give us some concern. Our season could easily end this Saturday with a laid egg in Terre Haute.

Comment

a good QB spells disaster with our 10 yrds off play...IMO

I spoke with some former DB's @ the game yesterday.. and they also wondered what was up with that.. (I've paraphrased here a bit as the actual language was a bit colorful for this board)

... ... ...

Comment

Or we could go into Indiana and in a workmanlike fashion run the string to four in a row setting up a big game with Mo State at CAS. I'm not sure what the NDSU win has to do with us right now other then it seemed to have exposed some ISU blue issues that we may be able to exploit. The fact that NDSU were able to run the ball on them with McNorton getting over 140 yards bodes well for our offense. We played and beat who I think is the best QB in the league (Barr). If we can control the game by running on ISU blue and if we play the typical physical SDSU FB we will be fine. I think the biggest question for next week, who steps up to replace Kool's production if he can't play.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      I think the biggest question for next week, who steps up to replace Kool's production if he can't play.
                      Aaron Rollin? A little more Cochart is always good. Tiefenthaler I think showed some good things in the return game.

10 yards off, I think is to protect these younger corners mentality a little bit. Dline did well yesterday and is flushing the QB more every game. I think the philosophy remains no big plays and stop the run. Brodie remains a stud. Jeske is playing well. Is General up to a 100%. Overall they are playing awesome and i have nothing to complain about.

Comment

Aaron Rollin? A little more Cochart is always good. Tiefenthaler I think showed some good things in the return game.

10 yards off, I think is to protect these younger corners mentality a little bit. Dline did well yesterday and is flushing the QB more every game. I think the philosophy remains no big plays and stop the run. Brodie remains a stud. Jeske is playing well. Is General up to a 100%. Overall they are playing awesome and i have nothing to complain about.
                        Brodie and Jeske both had series in the 2nd half yesterday which they dominated. Jeske is a nasty hitter and Brodie is everywhere. I would agree, I'm not sure what there is to complain about yesterday. Watching online, once we held them to the FG after the long drive in the 3rd it felt like we had the game in control. We are playing with a great deal more confidence.

Could the slow start this year have anything to do with (on top of the schedule) a new offensive coach and the adjustments in game day responsibilities with him in place?

The rest of the year should be very interesting in the MVFC. UNI is in a good position after the WIU loss yesterday. But if you look at their schedule they are on the road 3 of the last 4 including at YSU, Ind State and WIU.
                        Last edited by jacksfan29; 10-24-2010, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Good point about the D-line. We had pressure on their QB all day and it looked like that might have affected his accuracy on some of those deep throws. I think a lot of it was the combination of the D-line and the coaching staff calling blitzes at the perfect times. Effective blitzes.

The only concern would be the edges. They couldn't do much of anything running between the tackles, but it looked like they had success once they started going outside.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            Or we could go into Indiana and in a workmanlike fashion run the string to four in a row setting up a big game with Mo State at CAS. I'm not sure what the NDSU win has to do with us right now other then it seemed to have exposed some ISU blue issues that we may be able to exploit. The fact that NDSU were able to run the ball on them with McNorton getting over 140 yards bodes well for our offense. We played and beat who I think is the best QB in the league (Barr). If we can control the game by running on ISU blue and if we play the typical physical SDSU FB we will be fine. I think the biggest question for next week, who steps up to replace Kool's production if he can't play.
                            I think what NDSU does for the rest of season means something. If they run the tables they are 8-3 and we stay home. Secondly the win streak over NDSU ends at 3 and our streak in Fargo ends at 1. I am guess I thinking too much about Nov 13th and if we handle ISU-BLUE the stakes are going to be higher. Grant they stopped the run against ISU blue and McNorton had a good day against their defense, so those two things do bode well for SDSU.

Lot of good football left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I think what NDSU does for the rest of season means something. If they run the tables they are 8-3 and we stay home. Secondly the win streak over NDSU ends at 3 and our streak in Fargo ends at 1. I am guess I thinking too much about Nov 13th and if we handle ISU-BLUE the stakes are going to be higher. Grant they stopped the run against ISU blue and McNorton had a good day against their defense, so those two things do bode well for SDSU.

Lot of good football left to play.
                              I hate to look too far ahead, too. It's difficult.
                              Jacks take care of business this Saturday and hopefully, everyone else manages to lose. The Jacks have a lot of control over their own destiny right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X