SDSU on Groupon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU on Groupon

I subscribe to Groupon, which sells one item per day at a pretty deep discount. This morning, I logged on and saw that SDSU is selling adult general admission tickets for $5. These are for the Missouri State and UND Games.

New marketing strategy by SDSU's athletic department? If so, I think it's pretty cool.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: SDSU on Groupon

We also have a class of seniors and graduate students in Journalism and Mass Communication working a marketing campaign for the Nov. 20 game. They're surveying students now. You'll start to see some of their efforts to drum up attendance starting on Nov. 7 and leading right up to the UND game.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
      I subscribe to Groupon, which sells one item per day at a pretty deep discount. This morning, I logged on and saw that SDSU is selling adult general admission tickets for $5. These are for the Missouri State and UND Games.

New marketing strategy by SDSU's athletic department? If so, I think it's pretty cool.
      link please?
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        link please?
        http://www.groupon.com/sioux-falls/

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
          I subscribe to Groupon, which sells one item per day at a pretty deep discount. This morning I logged on and saw that SDSU was selling tickets to their games for $5 each. These are for the Missouri State and UND Games.

Nope. Nope. Nope. As tempted as I am, I am not gonna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            Nope. Nope. Nope. As tempted as I am, I am not gonna do it.
            Thank you for your restraint YF. I think I am thinking the same thing you are. To me there is nothing cool about this.

Comment

It's not like we're giving away tickets as some schools have.

One thing we know is that if you get fans to the event once, there's a much greater chance they'll be back. So you sacrifice a little bit of ticket revenue now, betting that you'll make it up from repeat business. Discounted tickets still have value to the consumer. If you give away tickets, say... through community fraternal organizations in the southeast part of the state... as some have, all you have done is condition an audience to expect free tickets every week.

The post Hobo Day games have historically been a problem. Last year we played the #2 (I think) team in the country for the MVFC championship on a beautiful day and got just over 10,000 fans to show up in a year when we had a couple 15,000+ crowds. Some schools would love to be able to fit 10,000 fans into their limited facilities. But for us, it's a let-down.

So the goal is to find ways to bring people in the door knowing that's your best chance to bring them back and ultimately to make them season ticket holders and word-of-mouth marketers for your program. I think it's good strategy and a good investment.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                It's not like we're giving away tickets as some schools have.

One thing we know is that if you get fans to the event once, there's a much greater chance they'll be back. So you sacrifice a little bit of ticket revenue now, betting that you'll make it up from repeat business. Discounted tickets still have value to the consumer. If you give away tickets, say... through community fraternal organizations in the southeast part of the state... as some have, all you have done is condition an audience to expect free tickets every week.

The post Hobo Day games have historically been a problem. Last year we played the #2 (I think) team in the country for the MVFC championship on a beautiful day and got just over 10,000 fans to show up in a year when we had a couple 15,000+ crowds. Some schools would love to be able to fit 10,000 fans into their limited facilities. But for us, it's a let-down.

So the goal is to find ways to bring people in the door knowing that's your best chance to bring them back and ultimately to make them season ticket holders and word-of-mouth marketers for your program. I think it's good strategy and a good investment.
                I agree with everything you said.

And you said your Mass Com class is going to try marketing those games to get more students there as well?
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  I agree with everything you said.

And you said your Mass Com class is going to try marketing those games to get more students there as well?
                  Yes, it's a PR Strategies class. The students are focusing on the on-campus students in the dorms and off-campus students in major apartment complexes around campus. We'll have survey results later this week, and the students will be enacting their plan from Nov. 7 to Nov. 20.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    Thank you for your restraint YF. I think I am thinking the same thing you are. To me there is nothing cool about this.
                    Sure there is. Perhaps a less expensive ticket will drive people who normally don't go to games to bring the family.

It isn't like they are selling season tickets for $5.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Devil's advocate...because I've been on the receiving end of this argument.

Hypothetical situation, but you'll see my point.

I went to the Cereal Bowl, had a great time and decided to buy four GA tickets the next week for the Missouri State game because I'll be back in town. So I drop $50 (rounding for ease) on those tickets that have a no refund policy. Now, those same tickets would cost me $20. Economy is tight, and I'm pissed because I cannot get the same price as someone who waited to buy tickets. I'm also pissed enough that the nice donation I was going to make is on hold because of this promotion and my in ability to get the same deal. What does the athletic department do?
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                        Devil's advocate...because I've been on the receiving end of this argument.

Hypothetical situation, but you'll see my point.

I went to the Cereal Bowl, had a great time and decided to buy four GA tickets the next week for the Missouri State game because I'll be back in town. So I drop $50 (rounding for ease) on those tickets that have a no refund policy. Now, those same tickets would cost me $20. Economy is tight, and I'm pissed because I cannot get the same price as someone who waited to buy tickets. I'm also pissed enough that the nice donation I was going to make is on hold because of this promotion and my in ability to get the same deal. What does the athletic department do?
                        I can see why you would be annoyed. I hope there aren't too many people in that predicament.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If you could afford at at 50 dollar its fair for you to pay that price, the 5 Dollar ticket may be the incentive to get some people who would like to but have no chance to pay the higher ticket prices normally. Not saying that makes it any easier, Sometimes it differs for people on the value of the experince compared to the value of the ticket.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Sure there is. Perhaps a less expensive ticket will drive people who normally don't go to games to bring the family.

It isn't like they are selling season tickets for $5.
                            No but its a substantial discount. Being a season ticket holder they have my money whether I show up or not, but those who might come just to see one game, it might work to get them in the stands. Five dollars is real money compared to no dollars for those who do not bother to buy a ticket and come. It's an incentive to build attendence, and promote the product on the field.

Comment

I wonder if there is a difference in what the $5 vs full ticket price gets you. Paying the premium price should allow a better seat I would think - $5 only for GA tickets. Consumers have choices - keep waiting and they don't drop prices; you get a ****ty seat...or... wait and get a less desirable seat for $5. I like this strategy. We need to get people to come to games later in the year. I just wonder how much ticket price has to do with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X