2010 GPI(Gridiron Power Index)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 GPI(Gridiron Power Index)

FCS's version of FBS's "BCS Rankings" came out today.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...Index-Released

If you click on the full spreadsheet. You'll see SDSU at #28 at 1-4. This definitely backs up how tough of a scheduled SDSU plays compared to others. I've always said that this is the best "indicator" of where teams are at and I like that is comes out in the 5th of 6th week of every season. EDIT - I just noticed Western ILL at #11, so of course there's always some outliers. One the other hand, would it surprise any of us to see Western come out of the MVFC?? Wouldn't me...IMO Barr's is the best QB we'll see this year(Running and Passing for all the T-Magic lovers).

The MVFC is 2nd behind only the CAA and a few points(which is a lot) ahead of the Big Sky.

Let's go 1-0 this Saturday in Carbondale and watch our index go up!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: 2010 GPI(Gridiron Power Index)

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

If you click on the full spreadsheet. You'll see SDSU at #28 at 1-4. This definitely backs up how tough of a scheduled SDSU plays compared to others. I've always said that this is the best "indicator" of where teams are at and I like that is comes out in the 5th of 6th week of every season. EDIT - I just noticed Western ILL at #11, so of course there's always some outliers. One the other hand, would it surprise any of us to see Western come out of the MVFC?? Wouldn't me...IMO Barr's is the best QB we'll see this year(Running and Passing for all the T-Magic lovers).

The MVFC is 2nd behind only the CAA and a few points(which is a lot) ahead of the Big Sky.

Go Jacks!!
    Kind of surprised how MVFC #2 in the conference rankings, given that most of the "leaders" of the MVFC haven't done well OOC. However, NDSU's success OOC really helped. MVFC is completely open at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Kind of surprised how MVFC #2 in the conference rankings, given that most of the "leaders" of the MVFC haven't done well OOC. However, NDSU's success OOC really helped. MVFC is completely open at this time.

I also think it's helped tremendously to have ISU-Blue winning some games, unlike the past few years. There's not really one "breather" in the Valley this year, IMO.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Go Jacks!!
        I wouldn't consider myself a Martinez lover, but to say that Matt Barr is better might be a bit of a stretch, IMO. Has Barr ever put up 200+ rushing yards in a game? He is a great FCS QB, don't get me wrong.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I wouldn't consider myself a Martinez lover, but to say that Matt Barr is better might be a bit of a stretch, IMO. Has Barr ever put up 200+ rushing yards in a game? He is a great FCS QB, don't get me wrong.

I think I meant "running and passing" combined, not both. As in a "duel-threat".

Go Jacks!!

Comment

I think I meant "running and passing" combined, not both. As in a "duel-threat".

Go Jacks!!
            Fair enough. I think I would still disagree, but I can see how someone could come to that conclusion.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I don't think Barr has amazing stats in any specific category, and he's not likely being looked at for a Walter Payton Award, but he's very smart and makes great decisions on the field. He knows when to take a short gain, throw the ball away, and when to scramble for the first down.
              He's also an outstanding student, so he's unlikely to screw it up with any off-the-field stuff: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=7759

He may not be able to put up huge numbers, but he's still a giant part of the difference between 1-10 last year and 4-2 so far this year. I just wish he didn't have to leave after this year. If he's lucky, he might end up working some in the CFL or AFL (where former Western QB Russ Michna has found pretty good success).

As for the GPI rankings, supposedly they're the most accurate predictor of who gets chosen for the playoffs, but at this point, I don't think I've seen enough to say that we should be 11th. I don't think I'll believe it until we've played SIU and UNI and seen how we do against them.

I'll be rooting for you guys to go down to Carbondale and give us a hand in staying one of the top teams in the conference this weekend.
              Scott
              Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
              Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                I don't think Barr has amazing stats in any specific category, and he's not likely being looked at for a Walter Payton Award, but he's very smart and makes great decisions on the field. He knows when to take a short gain, throw the ball away, and when to scramble for the first down.
                He's also an outstanding student, so he's unlikely to screw it up with any off-the-field stuff: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=7759

He may not be able to put up huge numbers, but he's still a giant part of the difference between 1-10 last year and 4-2 so far this year. I just wish he didn't have to leave after this year. If he's lucky, he might end up working some in the CFL or AFL (where former Western QB Russ Michna has found pretty good success).

As for the GPI rankings, supposedly they're the most accurate predictor of who gets chosen for the playoffs, but at this point, I don't think I've seen enough to say that we should be 11th. I don't think I'll believe it until we've played SIU and UNI and seen how we do against them.

I'll be rooting for you guys to go down to Carbondale and give us a hand in staying one of the top teams in the conference this weekend.
                Barr is a terrific QB, one of my favorite players in the league to watch. I have now seen him single-handedly nearly beat SDSU at Coughlin twice. In both games, he was the difference between a blowout and a single digit game. The guy's a gamer.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Barr is a terrific QB, one of my favorite players in the league to watch. I have now seen him single-handedly nearly beat SDSU at Coughlin twice. In both games, he was the difference between a blowout and a single digit game. The guy's a gamer.
                  He was the reason they won the first time we played WIU his freshman year. I think he came in because of an injury if I remember correctly. He came in and ran all over the place.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Latest GPI Rankings: Looks like SDSU's at #18 and 3rd in the MVFC. The MVFC is also ranked 2nd behind the CAA. Did I mention I really like this poll/index the best of them all?!?!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...laims-Top-Spot

Go Jacks!!

Comment

SDSU has the nations toughest schedule for FCS as of 10-24-10 http://www.lazindex.com/CFD1AA.htm
                      according to the Laz index

Comment

Latest GPI Rankings: Looks like SDSU's at #18 and 3rd in the MVFC. The MVFC is also ranked 2nd behind the CAA. Did I mention I really like this poll/index the best of them all?!?!

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...laims-Top-Spot

Go Jacks!!
                        Sorry for the smack in non smack, USD only was 48 even with the power win of U of M.

Anyway, Its a good system I have usually felt fairly accurate. Would be nice to use this ranking for the teams to make the playoffs. I would like our chances then.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe it's a major consideration for the playoff selection.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Sorry for the smack in non smack, USD only was 48 even with the power win of U of M.

Anyway, Its a good system I have usually felt fairly accurate. Would be nice to use this ranking for the teams to make the playoffs. I would like our chances then.

I don't think that is smack. U of M is a horrible FBS school this year. They have made the Bottom Ten list on ESPN every week since week 2. A win against them in most ranking systems would not rank higher than a loss to U of Neb. Again, just the facts. Same logic that keeps Boise St. stuck at 3 in the BCS poll.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                              I don't think that is smack. U of M is a horrible FBS school this year. They have made the Bottom Ten list on ESPN every week since week 2. A win against them in most ranking systems would not rank higher than a loss to U of Neb. Again, just the facts. Same logic that keeps Boise St. stuck at 3 in the BCS poll.
                              Dang, if not smackish hopefully it can be sarcastic.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X