Proud of the Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud of the Jacks

Went to the game Saturday. Couldn't be prouder of that football team. I'm a native South Dakotan and went to SDSU but have lived in Nebraska for about 16 years. My wife went to Nebraska and is a big fan and we have Husker season tickets. I wore my blue and tailgated for about 4 hours before the game. A lot of fun, absolutely no problems from the Husker fans.

I was about the only one in Blue in my section and I was maybe being a little obnoxious (just ask my wife) but all good natured. With all the drinking at the tailgating my bravery level was up pretty good. Funny story, there was one guy in front of me that was giving it back a little. Finally he said something like "oh yeah well we beat Minnesota". I said you must be from USD and he said he was. I said "so you have to come to a Husker game in Lincoln, NE when USD isn't even playing to cheer against the Jacks." I then told him I thought the win against Minnesota was awesome. He didn't say much after that.

After the game I told everyone the game I saw had a score of 17-17. 2 touchdowns erased. Minnett was over the goal line and the illegal block call was BS. Huskers fans still all had nothing but good things to say about SDSU and then reminded me that they were 4-0 and we were 0-3.

My takes:

Minnett; absolute stud. Really ran tough and put some good licks on people.

Derek Domino; stud. Must have had 25 tackles. After his TD was called back whenever the announcer would say "tackle by Derek Domino" I would yell out "Derek Domino; thats the guy that scored the TD they called back on the BS call."

Anyway this is the one chance in my life I get to raz Husker fans about the Jacks so I will be taking advantage all week. I'm going to tell them I would like to thank Steve Peterson for scheduling this game and tell them they should ask Pelini what he thinks about scheduling 1-AA teams from now on.

Re: Proud of the Jacks

I had to respond after reading your post. We were about the only ones in Blue in our section also. In red behind was USD fan rooting pretty loudly against us also. We told her we were proud of their victory over Minnesota...she also became pretty quiet. Just thought it was kind of ironic we shared the same experience.

Comment

Heh! We ran into USD fans as well....I said "What you get lost? North Dakota is North! Come down to an SDSU game because you didn't have the heart to go watch your own team?"
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

?

Were there more USD fans at the Husker game than at the Bison game?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          ?

Were there more USD fans at the Husker game than at the Bison game?
          Better question:

Are there always more USD fans at the Husker game than wherever USD is playing?
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1 View Post
            Went to the game Saturday. Couldn't be prouder of that football team. I'm a native South Dakotan and went to SDSU but have lived in Nebraska for about 16 years. My wife went to Nebraska and is a big fan and we have Husker season tickets. I wore my blue and tailgated for about 4 hours before the game. A lot of fun, absolutely no problems from the Husker fans.

I was about the only one in Blue in my section and I was maybe being a little obnoxious (just ask my wife) but all good natured. With all the drinking at the tailgating my bravery level was up pretty good. Funny story, there was one guy in front of me that was giving it back a little. Finally he said something like "oh yeah well we beat Minnesota". I said you must be from USD and he said he was. I said "so you have to come to a Husker game in Lincoln, NE when USD isn't even playing to cheer against the Jacks." I then told him I thought the win against Minnesota was awesome. He didn't say much after that.

After the game I told everyone the game I saw had a score of 17-17. 2 touchdowns erased. Minnett was over the goal line and the illegal block call was BS. Huskers fans still all had nothing but good things to say about SDSU and then reminded me that they were 4-0 and we were 0-3.

My takes:

Minnett; absolute stud. Really ran tough and put some good licks on people.

Derek Domino; stud. Must have had 25 tackles. After his TD was called back whenever the announcer would say "tackle by Derek Domino" I would yell out "Derek Domino; thats the guy that scored the TD they called back on the BS call."

Anyway this is the one chance in my life I get to raz Husker fans about the Jacks so I will be taking advantage all week. I'm going to tell them I would like to thank Steve Peterson for scheduling this game and tell them they should ask Pelini what he thinks about scheduling 1-AA teams from now on.
            Great post and I loved your energy and all the outloud comments you made at the game. That's exactly what I woudl have been doing too. Letting all the Husker fans know who I was for and maybe trying to push a few buttons at the same time. The team made us all proud!!

Comment

A buddy and I tailgated for most of the day and got plenty of "Good Luck" sayings from the husker fans. Kinda funny that all of them were saying good luck and it ended up being a really close game. I was really proud of the Jacks and thought they played an awesome game. We were also one of the only ones wearing blue in our section and we had a blast. Favorite quote from husker fans was "Silly Rabbits" which was said after every time the jackrabbit did something bad.....

Comment

Getting lots of compliments at work today from the Husker fans. They are getting a little annoyed with me saying the score was 17-17 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1 View Post
                  Getting lots of compliments at work today from the Husker fans. They are getting a little annoyed with me saying the score was 17-17 though.
                  Sometimes the truth can be annoying.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I did my tailgating before the game with my brother in law who played OL for Nebraska in the early-mid 90's. Several of his teammates laughed at the thought of the Jackrabbits competing before the game. (and quite frankly, I had no reason to disagree, as the OLine & DLine had done nothing this year to give me hope)

They watched the game from their sideline and following the game they had nothing but great things to say about our team and the effort shown by the Jackrabbits.

The few Mavbots I heard crying about how poorly the Huskers played as we walked out of the stadium and in the bars, were brought into check by the veteran Huskers (and anyone with a brain) who gave a lot of credit to the game plan, effort and pride shown by the Jackrabbits.

The key for us, is not to get hung up on a seeming "moral victory" (I know we don't believe in them - but this is as close as it gets) and keep working and preparing for the Panthers of UNI.

But looking back, it was a great day for a game at Memorial Stadium and I believe the Jacks picked up a little respect and perhaps a few fans from the Husker Nation. Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

Comment

"

You guys said it best.

Comment

Working...
                      X