Pregame Brawl - Illinois State Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregame Brawl - Illinois State Article

Interesting article from Bloomington. Anyone have any details?

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/art...cc4c03286.html
    USD Fan

Re: Pregame Brawl - Illinois State Article

This has been discussed at length in the ISU GD Thread. I am disappointed with our guys trying to stir up trouble. It appears this is what happened. I will be curious to hear what Coach Stig has to say about this at the Differnce Makers meeting on Wed AM.

Comment

Had the team had the same fire once the game started, we may have had a chance.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Weird.... I actually told a factual story. crazy!
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          This has been discussed at length in the ISU GD Thread. I am disappointed with our guys trying to stir up trouble. It appears this is what happened. I will be curious to hear what Coach Stig has to say about this at the Differnce Makers meeting on Wed AM.
          Please report back to us Nidaros. I (would be/am) very unhappy if our team started the smackdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Please report back to us Nidaros. I (would be/am) very unhappy if our team started the smackdown.
            I will do that. From where I was sitting mid field, it looked like the Jacks were just going through some pregame warm ups and that was why they were in the red-zone and close to the ISU team. The ISU could have ran east and avoided them on the field but they just stood their and kept jawing back at our guys. It looked like the coaches did not know where they were suppose to go. Their bench was on the east side of the field and if they thought they were going to take lap around the field, then they might expect some trouble. This is something our opponents need to have clarified before each game, otherwise we could have a repeat of this incident and it could get very ugly and result in injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I will do that. From where I was sitting mid field, it looked like the Jacks were just going through some pregame warm ups and that was why they were in the red-zone and close to the ISU team. The ISU could have ran east and avoided them on the field but they just stood their and kept jawing back at our guys. It looked like the coaches did not know where they were suppose to go. Their bench was on the east side of the field and if they thought they were going to take lap around the field, then they might expect some trouble.
              It also didn't help that the band was on the far side of the field from end zone to end zone.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I didn't read the GDT, but I guess I saw a different perspective. I looked up and saw what looked like scripted hype on ISU's part right down to coaches "holding" guys back. Looked pretty planned to me. And I don't recall seeing SDSU players heading to that end of the field trying to stir anything up. I saw a couple guys going through normal pre-game warmups on that end and there was definately some chattering going on, but nothing that would indicate a large scale near brawl. Funny how after it all broke up some ISU players decided to stay and "chat" with our student section. Nothing like pointing fingers one way, and then doing a little un-necessary chirping of your own.

I'll add this too, after ISU's first score their QB turned and had some choice words for our bench it looked like and spent plenty time facing our way celebrating rather than focusing on this own team. I won't say SDSU is free from blame, but ISU is plenty in the mix as well.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Greetings from Normal, IL! I didn't see video or anything of the pregame. I do know that the author of the article tells it like he sees it. Sometimes it's favorable, sometimes not so much. I have a feeling what was seen depended on when you looked at what was happening and what angle you were sitting. It's usually that way. Opening conference games always puts the players on edge...both sides. There may have been some confusion on where everyone was supposed to be. It is expected for the players to talk back and forth to each other. I think that's how they get pumped up for the game. No big deal. The students giving the visiting players a hard time is a given LOL It's good one of ISU's assistant coaches and the strength and conditioning coach/staff was keeping the ISU players back. No one wants a fight on the field. It isn't good for either team. I don't think it was scripted by any means. If any of the ISU players were out of line, I can assure you Coach Spack will take care of it back here so it doesn't happen again. He is a straight forward no nonsence kind of guy.

Good luck to your team the rest of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    I didn't read the GDT, but I guess I saw a different perspective. I looked up and saw what looked like scripted hype on ISU's part right down to coaches "holding" guys back. Looked pretty planned to me. And I don't recall seeing SDSU players heading to that end of the field trying to stir anything up. I saw a couple guys going through normal pre-game warm ups on that end and there was definitely some chattering going on, but nothing that would indicate a large scale near brawl. Funny how after it all broke up some ISU players decided to stay and "chat" with our student section. Nothing like pointing fingers one way, and then doing a little un-necessary chirping of your own.

I'll add this too, after ISU's first score their QB turned and had some choice words for our bench it looked like and spent plenty time facing our way celebrating rather than focusing on this own team. I won't say SDSU is free from blame, but ISU is plenty in the mix as well.
                    I was in the student section and would agree with CMA's assessment...
                    Seemed like ISU's Coaches had this planned... what I saw was an ISU player come out tward the sdsu player and then there was a bit of back and forth... seemed to me as the ISU player instigated the deal then the weird drama started.. kinda a let me at them(I'm holding you back) kinda deal. Seems tome that they are really playing this up..
                    I'd like to see it again.. there were ton's of witnesses that were closer than I, I would like to see their take

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      I didn't read the GDT, but I guess I saw a different perspective. I looked up and saw what looked like scripted hype on ISU's part right down to coaches "holding" guys back. Looked pretty planned to me. And I don't recall seeing SDSU players heading to that end of the field trying to stir anything up. I saw a couple guys going through normal pre-game warmups on that end and there was definately some chattering going on, but nothing that would indicate a large scale near brawl. Funny how after it all broke up some ISU players decided to stay and "chat" with our student section. Nothing like pointing fingers one way, and then doing a little un-necessary chirping of your own.

This all had to do with the crappy pregame, which was poorly planned and poorly executed. But to totally excuse the SDSU players would be wrong. One team came out on the south side of the field (ISU), the other at the far north (SDSU). The scuffle was at the south side...so one team (SDSU) ran about 100 yards to the scuffle site, the other about 10. But it was all amplified by the SDSU players not knowing where to go and the band being on the field and the ISU players likely not being sure here to run with so many others on the field.

Anyhow, like another poster said, too bad we didn't show half as much fight and energy during the game.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                        But it was all amplified by the SDSU players not knowing where to go and the band being on the field and the ISU players likely not being sure here to run with so many others on the field.
                        The players knew where to go, they practiced pregame warmups during fall camp several times. The band were the ones who didn't know where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                          The players knew where to go, they practiced pregame warmups during fall camp several times. The band were the ones who didn't know where to go.
                          And the band did a run-through on Sat morn@ like 10:30 nobody should have been confused.. well except for the flags some of them seemed thoroughly confused the entire performance @ half, like they had not practiced. they should get rid of the flags if they are going to be that bad.
                          it distracts from the band... it's like a car wreck you cant look away. (link contains NSFW language)

Comment

Let's see if the performance is repeated by either team.

I missed the whole pre-game snafu because I was packing up from tailgating in the parking lot. I'm glad I wasn't in the stadium for whatever happened and didn't happen.

Comment

The band is on the field! The band is on the field!!!!!
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X