Detroit Lions get screwed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Lions get screwed.

The situation: Lions down 14 to 19 to the Bears in Chicago, under a minute to go.

The play: Shaun Hill connects with Calvin Johnson, for about a 30 yard td....Johnson catches the ball midair in the back of the end zone, lands with both feet, falls on his rear, and touched the ball to the ground with one hand, and lets go of the ball.

The screw job: refs rule it an incomplete pass. Lions challenge. Ruling on the field stands.

Its towards the end of the video attached.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=300912003

I think the "rule" the refs cited is baloney. Something about not finishing the process of the catch...WTH. How much more finished does the process have to be? I think they need to change the rule.

Here's more about the play from yahoo sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-269035
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Detroit Lions get screwed.

That's sports, too much left to the officials interpretation.That's a TD the way I see it.Did I see the closest official to the play signal TD?

Comment

Well the ref called the play correctly according to the rule. That being said, the rule needs to be changed. That was obviously a catch.b
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I can see somewhat why they MIGHT need a rule like that.To keep some very fine "actors" from disguising a catch they don't really have control of by flipping the ball prematurely .This clearly wasn't the case in this instance however.

Comment

As a Bears fan, I was watching the game at the golf course. Saw the play and went out on the deck and started drinking. Ticked off to say the least. Didn't wait around to see the outcome. After several beers a friend looked at his Blackberry and told me the Bears won. We looked at the video. Even being a Bears fan and having several beers, looks to me like the Lions got the screw job. I did need a win after the game in Delaware, but it shouldn't have ever been a play in the endzone. Bears Suck!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            That's sports, too much left to the officials interpretation.That's a TD the way I see it.Did I see the closest official to the play signal TD?
            Yes, the official standing on the goal line, 8 yards away, called TD, but another official (don't know which) came in and overruled the first official.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

As and on and off Bears fan, I do think it was a wierd call. No 81 seemed to have caught it, but after the review, they let the ref call stand. If there is anything slowing the games down its the requests for reviews.

This call helped me in a family pickum pool. I picked the Bears to win, but missed on Clev, Indy Atlanta. Always next week.

Comment

Then there was a play in a college game saturday, I forget which, where the running back is going in for a score and on replay he lets go of the ball at the one yard line in his celebration. Refs call TD.

First the non no-hitter for the Tigers, now this non TD for the Lions. Come on folks, give Michigan a break.

Comment

How can anyone in the NFL rules office defend this rule? A player came down in the endzone with 2 feet, a hand, and his hip. This is just another of these inane NFL rules that just don't make any sense. Add the "Finishing the Process" rule to the "Tuck Rule."
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    Then there was a play in a college game saturday, I forget which, where the running back is going in for a score and on replay he lets go of the ball at the one yard line in his celebration. Refs call TD.

First the non no-hitter for the Tigers, now this non TD for the Lions. Come on folks, give Michigan a break.
                    There were two such plays in college football this week. Thursday night Marshall v West Virginia and I believe the other was the Michigan v Notre Dame game. Could be wrong on the second.

Horrible rule the NFL has in place. Could not have been any more of a completed catch. The fact that we went from two hands on the ball with two feet down to one hand landing on his hip shows he had control.

Brutal. Just hope for the Lions sake that Stafford is not out long term.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      There were two such plays in college football this week. Thursday night Marshall v West Virginia and I believe the other was the Michigan v Notre Dame game. Could be wrong on the second.

Horrible rule the NFL has in place. Could not have been any more of a completed catch. The fact that we went from two hands on the ball with two feet down to one hand landing on his hip shows he had control.

Brutal. Just hope for the Lions sake that Stafford is not out long term.
                      I think the only reason that he took one hand off the ball was to try to brace himself and avoid injury. If a player has to complete a catch like the NFL wants, shouldn't it be pass interference if a defensive player pushes a receiver out of bounds?
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

Thats a "fumble",if i was an opposing player & saw that, i'd pick the ball up & run the other way & demand a replay.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0_WL06AAc

I thought of this play.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            Thats a "fumble",if i was an opposing player & saw that, i'd pick the ball up & run the other way & demand a replay.
                            Not a fumble because he was down by contact with the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                              As a Bears fan, I was watching the game at the golf course. Saw the play and went out on the deck and started drinking. Ticked off to say the least. Didn't wait around to see the outcome. After several beers a friend looked at his Blackberry and told me the Bears won. We looked at the video. Even being a Bears fan and having several beers, looks to me like the Lions got the screw job. I did need a win after the game in Delaware, but it shouldn't have ever been a play in the endzone. Bears Suck!!

as a bear fan also, i say, a wins a win. i dont care how they won it. i think cuter looked a lot better than last year. a lot of yards and not many points to show for it. and next week at dallas. we should enjoy our week in first place. it might be our last.

Comment

Working...
                              X