SIU Opens New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU Opens New Stadium

I'm sure it's nice and all, but a little bland? Only 1,100 chairbacks?

Am I wrong to expect more of a WOW! factor in CAS' replacement?

History made at SIU as Saluki Stadium is opened

CARBONDALE, Ill. - Southern Illinois football fans, the day has come - Saluki Stadium is now open.
    Those were the words used by Saluki Hall of Fame Broadcaster and Master of Ceremonies Mike Reis right before University officials and project supporters cut the ribbon to officially open Saluki Stadium. The grand opening ceremony on Tuesday, Aug. 24 will forever mark a new era in Southern Illinois athletics.
    SIUC Chancellor Rita Cheng spoke on the role athletics plays in energizing the University community in complimenting the academic strengths and enriching the student experience

More ...

Info & Photos
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: SIU Opens New Stadium

Perhaps more chairbacks are on backorder, like the goal posts?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I actually think it's kinda neat. Not many seats, but a cool configuration and every seat is literally yards from the playing field.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

From what I've heard they built this stadium using "erector set" like bleachers which lowered the overall cost a bunch. This is NOT how we want to build our stadium as it has the feel of a glorified high school stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          From what I've heard they built this stadium using "erector set" like bleachers which lowered the overall cost a bunch. This is NOT how we want to build our stadium as it has the feel of a glorified high school stadium.
          I could be wrong, but I don't think that stadium is going to age well. Don't get me wrong, it's better than what they had, but I think this new stadium will start showing wear within 5 years, and look pretty crappy in 10 without serious upkeep. Winds, crowd and snow load will pull those pretty aluminum panels out of alignment rather quickly, and you'll never stop weeds from coming up through cracks in the concrete under the stands. All that space under the stands will also collect brush, cobwebs and garbage. And since it's all exposed to the weather, you can expect to see dirt and rust from metal fasteners soon. Maybe they'll put the time in to pressure wash it every fall, spray weed killer on the cracks often, make sure every bit of brush and garbage is picked up every week, and repaint anything that needs it as soon as rust shows, but we all know how easy it is to overlook stuff like that when there aren't enough hours in the day, or enough money in the bank to pay for the labor.

Comment

Working...
          X