Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls Scrimmage

I know this listed under Alumni stuff, but I just heard about it today:
    South Dakota State University student-athletes and coaches will Paint the Falls Blue Aug. 25 in Sioux Falls to help kick off the start of the 2010-11 athletics season.

Throughout the day, Jackrabbit student-athletes and coaches plan to visit local schools, hospitals and nursing homes. More than 60 Jackrabbit student-athletes participated in the inaugural event last year.
    "We are extremely excited to have the opportunity for our student-athletes to be able to promote the spirit of SDSU athletics while we are in Sioux Falls," Athletic Director Justin Sell said. "We hope this opportunity provides many Sioux Falls residents a chance to get to know our kids and to get a sneak peak at our 2010 Jackrabbit football team. It was a great event last year and we are looking forward to another successful day in Sioux Falls this year."

The public is invited to attend a free picnic with student-athletes and athletics staff from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Falls Park.

The day's events culminate with the Jackrabbit football team conducting a practice and scrimmage starting at 5 p.m. at Howard Wood Field. The event is free and open to the public.

Paint the Falls Blue is part of a week's worth of SDSU-related activities in Sioux Falls. The SDSU Alumni Association and Sioux Empire Staters are hosting an alumni event at the Sioux Falls Pheasants game on Monday, Aug. 23, and the Sioux Empire Staters will be hosting their annual Jackrabbit Shootout golf event on Thursday, Aug. 26 at Spring Creek Golf Club near Harrisburg

Re: Sioux Falls Scrimmage

FYI, SDSU night at the Pheasants game has been canceled due to lack of participants.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
      FYI, SDSU night at the Pheasants game has been canceled due to lack of participants.
      There was an SDSU night at the pheasants game? I'm going to miss the scrimmage though, that kind of sucks. Although last year it was no contact, I assume it is no contact again. Which I understand, don't want any unnecessary injuries.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Not sure if we carry out any community functions like this but if not we should what a great happening

Comment

Here are some of my thoughts from the scrimmage:

** When you say your Jackrabbit prayers at night, pray hard that O'Brien stays healthy this year. If he goes down...well, just pray hard.

** O-Line looked pretty good...quite a bit of depth also. We've got some BIG young pups coming up. Castle participated today. Luethje did leave with what looked like a lower leg injury...but he was walking around on the sideline and wasn't receiving prompt medical attention by any means.

** Harris has an absolute cannon of a leg. FG kickers weren't overly accurate today...snaps weren't exactly on point either. That's something to keep an eye on. Miranda spoiled us for several years with perfect snaps all the time.

** Hylland, Rollin and Mitchell look to be the top 3 receivers. Mitchell could do some damage this year. He's big and physical. He did leave with a wrist injury, but later came back to catch a TD pass. He was done for the day after that. Hopefully nothing serious.

** We are stacked at LB. That group had what seemed like 27 picks today (...some were by the DB's, there were too many to keep track of). By the way, did I mention what everyone needs to do when saying their Jackrabbit prayers...

** Pretty good depth at DB also. Kjerstad did not participate. Wise and Jeske were starting at safety. Parnell was 2nd team CB, but looked like he was moving pretty well.

** Clare was 2nd string RB...but Duffy did not participate today.
          Last edited by jacks1; 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            Here are some of my thoughts from the scrimmage:

** When you say your Jackrabbit prayers at night, pray hard that O'Brien stays healthy this year. If he goes down...well, just pray hard.

** O-Line looked pretty good...quite a bit of depth also. We've got some BIG young pups coming up. Castle participated today. Luethje did leave with what looked like a lower leg injury...but he was walking around on the sideline and wasn't receiving prompt medical attention by any means.

** Harris has an absolute cannon of a leg. FG kickers weren't overly accurate today...snaps weren't exactly on point either. That's something to keep an eye on. Miranda spoiled us for several years with perfect snaps all the time.

** Hylland, Rollin and Mitchell look to be the top 3 receivers. Mitchell could do some damage this year. He's big and physical. He did leave with a wrist injury, but later came back to catch a TD pass. He was done for the day after that. Hopefully nothing serious.

** We are stacked at LB. That group had what seemed like 27 picks today (...some were by the DB's, there were too many to keep track of). By the way, did I mention what everyone needs to do when saying their Jackrabbit prayers...

** Pretty good depth at DB also. Kjerstad did not participate. Wise and Jeske were starting at safety. Parnell was 2nd team CB, but looked like he was moving pretty well.

** Clare was 2nd string RB...but Duffy did not participate today.
            Did Sumner participate at all?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Did Sumner participate at all?
              He suited, but did not play.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                Are you saying Jordan Thomas is not going to be a reliable backup? Could you elaborate a little more please?
                I don't want to throw anyone under the bus for one bad performance...but I guess I kinda already did. All I'm going to say is that he looked absolutely awful today.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                  Are you saying Jordan Thomas is not going to be a reliable backup? Could you elaborate a little more please?

Jordan Thomas did not seem to have the arm strength to make the passes on the outside that we rely so heavily on. The difference between O'Brien and Thomas is like watching a fastball pitcher compared to a guy who throws a knuckleball.

He also seems very undersized, and really struggled today.

Sumner was dressed but did not play.

Comment

From TV

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...12/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by henduster View Post
                      Not sure if we carry out any community functions like this but if not we should what a great happening
                      thanks henduster, jackrabbit athletics has a strong sense of community. Sioux Falls is home to a lot of fans. supporters and alumni. 5 SDSU women bball players are also in Ghana currently helping any way they can.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                        Jordan Thomas did not seem to have the arm strength to make the passes on the outside that we rely so heavily on. The difference between O'Brien and Thomas is like watching a fastball pitcher compared to a guy who throws a knuckleball.

He also seems very undersized, and really struggled today.

Sumner was dressed but did not play.
                        This hits it on the head. They can dial up out routes for the receivers for TOB, but not JT. JT's arm and poor vision resulted in 3 int's that would have went back the other way.

TOB's int was pretty poor too. Trying to fit it in double coverage, was not smart. Jeske made a good grab too. I just hope he doesn't try to rely on his arm too much and be like the QB for my pro team...Jay Cutler. I know it seems to be a simple throw, but TOB's tosses out to the RB's are always right on target, crisp and are very effective plays. Would have liked to see more of Tiefenthaler in the mix. They tried a couple of times to get it to him, but he was covered well. Use the speed we all hear about.

The O-line was decent, but not great. The D-line was better, I think.

But I think this defense is going to be right up there again. I know they're trying to make up for the losses in the LB's. I wouldn't worry about that crew at all. The secondary, both first team and second team covered the receivers pretty well. I would still like to see Conrad in there, but life beyond football is more important than anything.

I would say that the key thing I took out of this practice is what was stated before. TOB has to stay upright and healthy. Or we may see Sumner sooner than we all thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          This hits it on the head. They can dial up out routes for the receivers for TOB, but not JT. JT's arm and poor vision resulted in 3 int's that would have went back the other way.

TOB's int was pretty poor too. Trying to fit it in double coverage, was not smart. Jeske made a good grab too. I just hope he doesn't try to rely on his arm too much and be like the QB for my pro team...Jay Cutler. I know it seems to be a simple throw, but TOB's tosses out to the RB's are always right on target, crisp and are very effective plays. Would have liked to see more of Tiefenthaler in the mix. They tried a couple of times to get it to him, but he was covered well. Use the speed we all hear about.

The O-line was decent, but not great. The D-line was better, I think.

But I think this defense is going to be right up there again. I know they're trying to make up for the losses in the LB's. I wouldn't worry about that crew at all. The secondary, both first team and second team covered the receivers pretty well. I would still like to see Conrad in there, but life beyond football is more important than anything.

I would say that the key thing I took out of this practice is what was stated before. TOB has to stay upright and healthy. Or we may see Sumner sooner than we all thought.
                          TOB stayed pretty healthy last year, and he took some hits for sure. I also think we've gotten used to TOB's zip on the ball. Someone who has seen it, would Jordan's be more or less like Craw's? And receivers and Meadows just needing to dial it back to a more efficiency type pass game. While boring, it did get the job done last year.

Comment

Crawford had an odd hitch in his arm motion, as I recall. Thomas seems to have a pretty normal arm, based on a few passing plays at the scrimmage, but he's got to be more careful about where he throws. TOB just has a super strong arm, which can get him into trouble at times because he'll try to throw into really tight coverage. I think the Jacks will be OK, overall, at QB if the young O-line can protect. I wish that Loetzer was on the team to add depth this year so that Sumner definitely could be redshirted. Maybe Loetzer will be back next year.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              TOB stayed pretty healthy last year, and he took some hits for sure. I also think we've gotten used to TOB's zip on the ball. Someone who has seen it, would Jordan's be more or less like Craw's? And receivers and Meadows just needing to dial it back to a more efficiency type pass game. While boring, it did get the job done last year.
                              Jordan's arm may be a hair better than Craw's overall....but Jordan just absolutely couldn't see the field at the scrimmage. It wasn't just the INT's...he failed to see numerous open receivers multiple times.

Comment

Working...
                              X