• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND Boomers?

They've got a ready-made mascot:

http://bit.ly/btphPf

Re: UND Boomers?

Wonder if that guy has a degree from USD? That is one strange person.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      Wonder if that guy has a degree from USD? That is one strange person.
      No he has a Liberace kind of demeanor. Did Liberace go to USD?

Comment

Doubtful, but USD produces a lot of imitators and followers and copy cats. Maybe USD should give the guy a honorary degree. A degree might help Boomer land a job as a mascot for UND.
        This space for lease.

Comment

It will be interesting to see their final logo, but this one was on the Bisonville web site.

Another possiblity would be a cross between Boomer and the orginal UND mascot - the Flickertails. UND switched from the Flickertails to the Fighting Sioux around 1930. Those mighty Flickertails are a relative to my beloved Gophers.

It has taken years for Minnesota to create a somewhat intimidating Gopher while not making it a freak. Maybe a cross between Boomer and the Flickertails would rival my Gopher. I think the ag department at NDSU could work on an embryo transfer to get the job done.
          Last edited by GopherHole; 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM. Reason: more graphics

Comment

Comment

It would be very confusing if the Boomers played the Sooners . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Minnesota tried to make Goldy look more threatening for a while, they gave it up, and we have the rather goofy Goldy Gopher. I prefer it this way, he's look like every other mascot if they tried to make him look threatening.

I didn't see the video, it wasn't up anymore, but it seemed he wanted to change his name to "Boomer the Dog". I'm not a lawyer, but it would seem that the problem is with the word "the". He might be able to change his name to "Boomer Dog", assuming he would be allowed the last name of "Dog". Or he could do "Boomer LaDog" or something like that.

I think UND should take up the Flickertails name again. It has history, and if it sounds a little dorky, embrace that. A "we're the Flickertails. Got a problem with that?" attitude goes a long way. The worst thing is to choose a generic name that sounds just like everyone else's name. You want a unique attention getting name. And no more Wildcats, the NCAA is full of Wildcats. You could make a whole conference out of Wildcats.

Comment

I still think the UND Rough Riders would be cool. It's original and tied to history in the Badlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I still think the UND Rough Riders would be cool. It's original and tied to history in the Badlands.
                    Then the Alerus really is the con dom e of ND?

Sorry JD, almost as bad as being bugged by entomology (and no, I dodn't win the spelling bee).

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
                      A "we're the Flickertails. Got a problem with that?" attitude goes a long way.
                      I wish. But nicknames like that are rather olde tymey.

Just look at the Summit League. The interesting nicknames are Leathernecks, Jackrabbits, and Kangaroos, and they're all old. The modern nicknames: Eagles, Grizzlies, Jaguars (which combined aren't half as old as the Jackrabbits nickname) are blandsville. I expect that UND will either go with Rough Riders and endure an endless procession of prophylactic jokes, or they will go with something idiotic and singular, or they will go with something common and dull as dishwater.

The worst thing is to choose a generic name that sounds just like everyone else's name. You want a unique attention getting name. And no more Wildcats, the NCAA is full of Wildcats. You could make a whole conference out of Wildcats.
                      List of college nicknames:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

The Jackrabbits are unique.

BTW: I want to see the Augie Vikings play the Augie Vikings

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

The Jackrabbits are unique.

Finally agree with you on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The changing of a nickname can get expensive. So I propose that they change the name to the "UND Buffalo." Then they can just use a logo that the state already has access to and just change the colors.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Another idea and that is to adopt the verbage on the late John Beluchi sweatshirt in the movie Animal House: COLLEGE. The UNIVERISTY Of North Dakota College. That way no one is offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Another idea and that is to adopt the verbage on the late John Beluchi sweatshirt in the movie Animal House: COLLEGE. The UNIVERISTY Of North Dakota College. That way no one is offended.

Faber College's mascot - the Mongols - and the college's motto, "Knowledge is good," remain classics of the genre. ........Along with Belushi-Blutarsky's line, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

On this UND mascot thing, what WOULD Dean Vernon Wormer do?

Comment

Working...
                              X