Fall Camp Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Camp Thread

Fall camp starts tomorrow and I am surprised by as little chat as there is on here about that. What are your thoughts now that the football season is practically here? Will you take in any practices or scrimmages in your free time?

I've talked with Stig and will be doing some video highlights from each practice along with interviews that will be uploaded within an hour or two after practice finishes on YouTube.

Here are some of my thoughts on the upcoming season having talked to the coaches and players over the past few weeks. http://wp.me/pY5pp-1p
    Four pressing questions for the upcoming football season:
    1.) Offensive Line Woes?
    Plenty of talk has been made about the young offensive line, but plenty of people forget the last three years the team has lost an average of 70 starts each year. Ryan McKnight and Jake Ludemann have been leading the squad in summer workouts. Meadows feels despite being young and inexperienced the redshirts have the potential to make up for any misguidings with their athletic abilities.

2.)Thomas O'Brien
    Lots of eyes will be on TOB entering fall camp as the No. 1 starter and rightfully so. As a rookie, Thomas O'Brien showed good and bad strides in games. Compare and contrast Northern Iowa with Minnesota. He has matured over the summer, running all 7 on 7 drills. With the famed sophomore slump show up in 2010?

3.) How do the Jacks build off of last year's success?
    The doubters out there don't think the Jacks can continue the success shown over the last few years. The 2010 season is critical in many ways. Do the Jacks continue to build in to a perennial FCS playoffs contender? Do they sink back to the old ways? Coach Stig has shown that a program, not funded as well as other local programs, can shine among the giants.

4.) The rookies
    There are plenty of talented freshmen coming into the system this fall. On the offensive side of things, there hasn't been a lot of talk about the freshmen. Defensively, Auston LaBlance, DiJon Starr, Jack Sherlock, Avery Boykin, Ramel Crenshaw and Cedric Provost have been mentioned as maybe seeing playing time as true freshmen. What freshmen will shine in camp and forgo their redshirt year?
    Your thoughts on expectations coming into camp?

Re: Fall Camp Thread

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
    Fall camp starts tomorrow and I am surprised by as little chat as there is on here about that. What are your thoughts now that the football season is practically here? Will you take in any practices or scrimmages in your free time?

I've talked with Stig and will be doing some video highlights from each practice along with interviews that will be uploaded within an hour or two after practice finishes on YouTube.

Here are some of my thoughts on the upcoming season having talked to the coaches and players over the past few weeks. http://wp.me/pY5pp-1p

Your thoughts on expectations coming into camp?
    Up to 6 true freshman possibly playing? I wouldn't like that so much but I trust the coaches know what they're doing. They must be pretty legit players to be able to step on the field right away.

As for the offensive lineman: All I've heard over the last two years is how talented these freshman lineman have been. Parker, etc. I think they will fill a big void in the OL and play a key role in SDSU's success. If the line can put some holes there for Minette, etc to run through, then TOB will have a much better shot to excel this year. I think that will be the big key to SDSU's team because I think we all believe the defense will be good again this year.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

It doesn't directly relate to our Fall Camp, but TV tweeted yesterday that Kirk Ferentz confirmed Brendan Wegher has left the hawkeyes camp. I don't want to start the discussion again but it would sure be nice to see him in blue and yellow.

Comment

Whoa...guess I should keep up with the College Athletics thread...this has already been heavily discussed. In the summer I don't read the board nearly as often.

Comment

48 min drive probably not, and I would go to the practice here but someone went and me an appointment without thinking.

As a paranoid football fan I don't like that kind of information about the team up on the interwebs. But of course I'd watch it!

1. Offensive Line woes: Overblown and ridiculous. Lost players every year, continually told these players are the most athletic and talented we've ever had. It only get's better.

2. TOB: He can only get better right? Sophomore slump only applies to the pros.

3. Yes, I think the Jacks make the playoffs. Every year of transition the Rabbits have improved their talent, coaching, systems, and facilities. Every year their record has gotten better. These things aren't just coincidental.

4.Rookies: I think 2 or 3 might see playing time...we lose quite a few starters after this year on Defense. Look at it this way if they all RS, next year everyone will be bitching about how our defense is thin and we are lacking experience. It'll be the whole oline debate all over again(except defense of course)
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I really don't see any of the freshman getting their redshirts pulled barring injury. If players start going down in camp, than possibly, but we have a pretty deep team with all of last years freshman redshirting.

For instance, I expect big things from a player like Dijon Starr at DT. But we already have Sr Basham, Sr Fischer, So Fitzsimmons, So Mink, RFr Douglas, RFR Moala. Unless a player is going to be in a rotation, than it's better to redshirt them.

Looking at the depth, maybe a CB will play as a true freshman if Parnell isn't 100% ready. Sr Brody, Sr Parnell, Jr Matthews, Jr Jackson, RFR Wright
            http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

TOB will be MUCH better this year and should avoid any sophomore working with Coach Eidsness.

If redshirts get pulled because the guy coming in is better than the returners then I'm all for it. FBS schools do it all the time (putting the best players on the field regardless of class), why should SDSU be any different.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                TOB will be MUCH better this year and should avoid any sophomore working with Coach Eidsness.

If redshirts get pulled because the guy coming in is better than the returners then I'm all for it. FBS schools do it all the time (putting the best players on the field regardless of class), why should SDSU be any different.
                I guess my point was that unless these freshman are unreal, we should already have talented players ahead of them. But I guess who knows besides the coaches. If a player does get his redshirt pulled it will just mean that the player is a beast.
                http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

What I am looking forward too is who will be the names we hear coming up to step up. We know Domino and a few others on D, but who will need to team in sacks or int or tackles. Not just the starters, but the bench, the guys who have been practicing and getting ready for this moment, who is it going to be.

On Offense, I am expecting to see Kool with the ball a lot more. Look for him to try to get the the opposing D to spread the field so Minnett has the room to run inside. I look for a more athletic line, even though young and inexperince are a concern, this year maybe allow more for the run game and for TOB to get the ball down field more. Otherwise who will step up for the recievers to help, Rollin, and will Gant be making plays like he was 2 years ago.

Overall I am excited to see what happens, Do we have a 2-deep list year for positions or will that come out later or did I miss it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'd like to see a really lock down defensive secondary.I just like seeing the opposing QB running away from the big guys on the line trying to avoid a sack.

Comment

The O-line is the big key. A good O-line will be needed to protect a talented but rather inexperienced and jumpy QB, to allow the QB to get the ball to an inexperienced corps of receivers, to open holes for a very good RB, and to give a solid but injury-thinned defensive unit plenty of rest.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

I share everyone's anxiety about 32 new faces and the possiblity of playing 6 true freshmen.
                        My mind goes back to a volleyball tourney at Forst in August maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I caught Stig watching the volley tourney. I remember he spoke of how things were going and he was worried about having to start a true freshman. So this is not a new experience.
                        BTW, the true freshman's name was a puzzle at the time of the conversation, he was no other than Danny Batten, some unknown and untried kid from Arizonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I share everyone's anxiety about 32 new faces and the possiblity of playing 6 true freshmen.
                          My mind goes back to a volleyball tourney at Forst in August maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I caught Stig watching the volley tourney. I remember he spoke of how things were going and he was worried about having to start a true freshman. So this is not a new experience.
                          BTW, the true freshman's name was a puzzle at the time of the conversation, he was no other than Danny Batten, some unknown and untried kid from Arizonia.
                          Coach Stig won't play a true freshman unless he absolutely has to. He had to a few times- most recent Cole Brodie- and will again if necessary.

Comment

I am really looking to hear from the coaching staff to who is starting to impress and seperate themselves from the rest. Every year we hear new names and its always fun to follow as the younger guys step up and move the ball as well or better then the guys before them.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                              Coach Stig won't play a true freshman unless he absolutely has to. He had to a few times- most recent Cole Brodie- and will again if necessary.
                              Well he played Danny Batten as a true freshmen or did you not read my prior post? TV has said as many as six will see action this season, mainly because they are the best they have.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X